Saturday, July 17, 2010

Nothing But Trouble- Part 4

Whoever said "mild pain" as a result from Lithotripsy must have lied. I was on pain killers for a few days, unable to do much of anything. I had to drink water and lemonade constantly in order to flush the stone fragments out. That meant I was going to the bathroom constantly. I was passing fragments and THAT was REALLY uncomfortable. Uncomfortable is not quite the word for this experience...however, I'll use it here.


I mean, seriously, I have heard story after story in and out of the hospital about the kidney stone experience. I can relate all too well. It's funny that it is described as having pain worse than labor and delivery. Since I haven't had the searing pain that produces a small human to come out of my body, I am unable to truly say which is worse. I have, however, had searing pain that produces small stones to come out of my body...through the tiny urethra...which is only meant to allow a stream of urine to pass. We're talking unnatural. Not meant to be. Inhumane. Is this too much? Don't get me started on the amount of blood involved from my kidney being Ka-Powed for over an hour.

I moved slowly. Sitting ached. Laying down ached. Sleeping was hard, especially since I had to stay on my right side. I had to do special inclines after drinking 16 ounces of lemonade, in which my body was at a 45 degree angle on a certain side and stay there for a half hour until I inched my way to another incline position. It was comical, but I'm not sure if A took a picture or not. I don't think I let him. I looked like death warmed over....in a really weird position. The inclines were to help flush fragments out. They were working, which was a good and bad thing. A did take a picture of my wounds from Lithotripsy. On the backside of my kidney, I was bruised and had slash marks, long cuts across my kidney. One mark being pretty deep and left a scar. I hesitate to show that one.

Going back to
Dr. I Can't Understand A Word You're Saying was frustrating. I informed him of my condition, gave fragment samples and he then told me to come back in two weeks with another x-ray. Good to see you too, doc. Surprisingly, he did answer ONE question of mine. He said I could return to normal activity. If you remember my brilliant doctor from past posts, you'll know this is foreshadowing for doom.

Well, to wrap this up, I saw my doctor one more time and when he said nothing to me besides
come back in two weeks with another x-ray, I decided to find another doctor. I needed to have a conversation with a doctor and get answers to questions. After looking online, I made an appointment in another county with a reputable office.

Six weeks later and still in pain, I saw my new doctor who actually sat down with me to talk. We went through my records, looked at past x-rays and he listened to everything I said. It was so refreshing. I had another x-ray and an ultrasound done for side by side comparison. They revealed that although I still have a few fragments in my bladder, I do not have any more fragments in my kidney. So, why am I still in pain? Maybe my kidney is still recovering from the last time I passed stones, which was a couple weeks prior. FIVE stones people. FIVE jagged and sharp stones that thrash the inside of your body at once. I was so elated to "give birth" to quintuplets that I took pictures and wanted to name each one.

Anyway, another reason could be that I have strained my muscles and never allowed my kidney plenty of rest after Lithotripsy. You hear that?
Plenty of rest? Thanks Dr. I Have No Idea What I'm Talking About. So, I have to go back for a CT scan if my pain doesn't go away. Ugh.

Thanks to everyone for helping us through this crazy adventure. Hopefully, it'll be over soon. After all, we're going on month 6.


I tried to get a good picture of the "quints", but there wasn't enough light...not even outside.
The pictures just don't do them justice.
Don't they look like fun?

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh my... I really have no words. I am doubling over in pain just looking at those stones. I am so sorry you are still in pain. My friend had one stone that ended up breaking into tiny fragments that she never even knew if they passed(nothing compared to what you are dealing with)... anyways she can confirm that it was way worse pain than childbirth. Glad you switched doctors and hope you can get things figured out. Thinking about you!

Carolina Chocolate said...

Thanks Suzanne!