Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Joy of Playschool

I didn't need too much convincing that my boys needed to be enrolled in playschool. Not only did we feel that it would be beneficial to their physical, emotional, and social growth, but it would be helpful to mommy's sanity. Plus, there's a baby coming, so...
I started in the Spring to get them into a preschool program. There are 4 in the area. Two were way to expensive because they were actually private schools. The other two were church programs 5 minutes from the house. The one I really wanted them to attend was booked already. I was placed on a waiting list, but my chances of getting two spots were slim. I waited all summer to hear back from them. Finally, August rolls around and I received word that there was one opening. Great. Do I not do it? Do I send one and not the other? The director then called me and said she would take both boys. Horray!
They call it a playschool because although they teach the basics, they focus on socialization. They teach through play.
There are several things I like about this school. It's like a drive through when I drop off or pick up the kids. The teachers get them in and out. It's wonderful. They also walk to the library for story time every month and check books out with their very own library card. They have holiday parties and cool bikes to ride in the gym on rainy days. In the spring, they will walk to the Y for swim lessons. How awesome is that?!
Shortly before school started (in September) I took the boys to see their school and meet their teacher. They loved the room and the toys. W pointed out all the fire extinguishers in the building, light switches, plugs, the church elevator with buttons, the air conditioner, why the ac is making that sound, AND where the air comes out to cool everybody. The teacher was impressed. O impressed her with his ability to name all his colors and the letters on the table.
These are just about the only pictures I got of the boys while we were there. I'll probably hear about it when they're older. I'm sure they'll have more when they actually start public school. I'm not too worried about it.

On the morning of their first day, I was a little worried about how things would go for them. Would they want to go? How will they react when the teacher gets them out of the car? Will they cry, scream and try to cling to me like they do when I drop them off at Nursery or MOPS? WELL...they were a tad nervous and slow moving, but they did it. The van door closed and they began to walk away. W turned to me and yelled, "Bye Mommy!" with a gigantic wave. They did it! They really have started school and I actually had a quiet van. As I drove away, I was so giddy. What a relief! I was thrilled. As I pulled out into the street, I screamed with joy! I laughed, big and loud. My happiness raced through my fingers and created drumbeats on the steering wheel. Wait. What was this? A tear? I had a tear in my eye. A tear of pure and utter bliss.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Love it! Enjoy your free time. I have one morning a week when it is just Abby and I and it is the best thing. Grocery shopping with a baby is a piece of cake compared to have all the kids. Sometimes I just window shop or stay at home and play with Abby. It is a nice break!

Carolina Chocolate said...

Oh, I know what you mean about shopping...so nice.