Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Day Has Arrived

Oh my! It seems so amazing that she is ready for Kindergarten. I was so nervous about her starting school. I knew she was more than ready academically, but E is sensitive, timid and shy. She is innocent. She can be very nervous about new situations. These are some of the reasons why we toured the school, the playground, the bathrooms, etc. We really wanted her to feel more confident about school.
 E and I made tags for each school day to place on her hangers. We pick out her clothes for the week and hang them on the inside of her closet door. It's been working gloriously. I don't have to help her get dressed in the morning and she can read the days of the week.
 The morning of her first day of school. Wake up sweet girl!
 A special breakfast.
Picture at the door with her new backpack, lunchbox, and 'First Day of Kindergarten' sign. 
 Walking through the school...I had a knot in my chest.
 She approached her classroom slowly.
 She recognized the teacher assistant from her class and softly said hi.
 Greeted by her teacher as she observed her surroundings.
 After putting her things away, she finds her seat with pink play-doh.
 E looked at me with apprehensive eyes and asked me to stay longer. She was excited, but there was no way she could hide her nervousness. I seemed to be really hot at this point and tired of faking a smile.
 We took a picture together...
 or two before I left. I gave her a big pep talk, a hug, and a high five. She was going to do great.
 I, on the other hand...I exited the building as fast as possible before I completely lost it in front of people. As I took this picture, I was sobbing! My baby has started school! We have been together for almost six years and I was really going to miss her. I cried all the way home. I called my sister and cried some more. I cried all. day. long.
 I composed myself in order to pick her up from school, but still got tears as I waited.
 Look! She recognized me in the van. She was thrilled that I came to get her.
 They sprinted to the van, all smiles. It was another day that I had to pull the van past her in carpool and she thought I was leaving. She was hysterically running after the van, waving her arms and crying for me. I felt awful that I couldn't explain what I was doing. We survived.

"I had a great day, Mommy! School is so fun!"


 Her first day with the entire Kn class present.
 All buckled up and ready to go. She looks like a pro.
 Walking into the school...much more confident.
 
E quickly got to work before she was greeted by the teacher. She already knew what to do...smartypants. 
We'll have a fabulous year!


3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Man, this makes me feel incredibly guilty. I shed not one single tear the day the girls started kindergarten this year. Not on the assessment day and not on the day when the kindergarten kids all started at once. I've been trying to figure out why but all I can think is that I am one stone-cold hearted mother. I applaud your emotions! Kindergarten is awesome!

Carolina Chocolate said...

Oh my...you've got the twins! Of course you didn't shed a tear! Let me just tell you...I was such a cry baby with E, but the day my boys started Playschool I literally screamed with happiness as I drove away. I believe I had one tear...a tear of pure and utter joy.

Suzanne said...

Look at her! She looks so grown up and happy. I am sure she is going to love school.