Thursday, January 13, 2011

Nutcracker Dress

I decided to sew E's dress for the Nutcracker. It was going to have a wool cape to match, but the high price of wool was not in my budget. The 50% off holiday fabric, however, definitely fit my budget.  

 
As we (notice I said we) thumbed through the fabric, I asked which one she would like. There were several gorgeous choices, so I let her pick. There were greens, blacks, grays, reds, silver and gold. There were plaids, polk-a-dots, stripes, velvets and glitter. She looked rather quickly and selected a rich green taffeta.

Then I asked her to choose a second fabric for her sash. She chose a cream taffeta with black velvet flowers. Excellent choice.

E was so excited to see the dress coming together. I was just relieved it was finally coming together. I make things hard for myself when I don't follow a pattern, which I usually don't, BUT I did try to follow this one and it was just confusing! I finally made it happen though. To make things even more difficult, I couldn't find my zipper foot to sew the zipper in the back. Yea...I still put it in though...very carefully.
Here's where E's modeling/silliness takes over. 




 Don't you love the knobless doors on my hutch? Who could've done that? Hmmm...
 
The black petticoat was fun. It was similar to a crinoline, but with a lot more tulle.

 Showing her nutcracker. 

Just like Clara in The Nutcracker, E's cradling her nutcracker. 

No comments: