Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Traditional Fat Noodles

Every year we save the Thanksgiving turkey carcass , the gravy, and left over turkey in order to make our traditional Fat Noodles. It's a recipe my mom learned from her Italian Grandmother and I can't imagine the Christmas holidays without it. It's not only one of my favorite meals, but one of my favorite leftovers.
I was queen of noodles for years, until my brother-n-law entered the picture and loved them too. It was a toss up on who could eat the most noodles. Then, as my nephews grew older, my throne was being threatened. Each year I had to convince my mom we needed more. We had to make another batch of noodles in order to feed everyone. One year, we made 10 batches that included 10 pounds of flour, 4 dozen eggs, and several turkeys. We had every counter, the bar, and the dining room table covered in noodles.

Last year was the first year the girls joined in on the making of noodles. They were just as excited to be big helpers again.

We wake up early to mix, roll, cut, stretch, and lay out the noodles for the day. The broth has been going for two days at this point. 

This year we made 5 batches that took up half of Grandma's gigantic dining room table while drying. It was the perfect amount. I could eat as much as I wanted and we had the perfect amount of leftovers. But you see, unfortunately, this year we didn't have my sister with all her boys, nor my other brother-n-law. So, fortunately, there wasn't any pressure to eat a queen's worth of noodles.


All that work and it's gone so quickly. Mmmm...Fat Noodles...A great family tradition.


2 comments:

Hot Chocolate said...

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!! Don't flaunt your fat noodles unless you are shipping them out here.

Carolina Chocolate said...

HAHA! Oh, you made me laugh! That was funny. I'm sorry...it must be heartwrenching to hear of them. I know how you feel...CAFE RIO!!