Friday, January 29, 2010

Our Girls

When I was young, my mom surprised me and my sister with life size dolls for Christmas. We loved our dolls...especially me. My doll was just my size. Not only did I always have a friend to play with, but I could dress her up and dance with her. My perfect doll had elastic on the bottom of her feet, so I could slip my feet under hers and waltz to my heart's content. Everyone was blissfully happy until the day my little sister decided to decorate her doll's face with marker. The next thing I know, both dolls are being thrown away. Why both dolls, you might ask? Well, if I remember correctly, my mom wanted to be fair. The horror, I know. This is the distressing memory I have carried around with me since childhood.

Well, my mom decided to make the life size dolls again. A true labor of love. This time they were for our daughters. Oh, the joy! I was thrilled for E. My sister and I wanted to have coordinating pjs on the dolls, but someone didn't bring pjs for their doll and then we ended up giving them to the girls early. But regardless, they were still excited and so now my childhood lives on...with a happy doll ending.



The girls love to play dress up. Here they are dancing at the Ball. You know, THE Ball from Cinderella.


So cute.
E's hanging out with the women folk, learning how to make Fat Noodles. It's a favorite tradition in our family, especially with me. I've always loved this meal and when we added people to the family...men folk...I gained some competition. Thank goodness we make enough each year for several helpings.

They always have a great time together.

4 comments:

Gordon, Jamie, Evelyn, Claire and Bonnie said...

oh my goodness - you told me 'life size' but these are gigantic!!! those dolls are the best thing I have seen in a long time! Tell your mother, my birthday is coming up and I want one!!! how cute are they?! And the dolls look just like the girls! It's like KID SISTER but better!!! ...kid sister, kid sister, kid sister and meeeee!!!! HA HA HAH!!! LOVE IT!

Gordon, Jamie, Evelyn, Claire and Bonnie said...

and PS - the picture of you at the top as a little girl is seriously the cutest picture EVER! You were adorable! Even with one sock on your foot!! So sweet - and the memories...too funny!!!

Suzanne said...

Wow! The picures didn't come up right away, but when they did, it was quite a surprise to see how really big they actually are. Way bigger than I was imagining. Just make sure you keep the markers away!

And I loved your comment on my blog about Andy always falling asleep during movies. Still true! And when I try to wake him... I take a few steps back so I don't get knocked out like your sis did!

Rich said...

WOW! Those dolls are terrific!! And E is really growing up. We need to have a royal ball and we will make sure she is on the guest list.