Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Our Advent

There are so many advents out there and it's hard to choose which kind I want for the family. Every year I search the Internet trying to find one I really have to have. It's hard to narrow it down. Some day I would really like to sew one...or paint one.

Time was running out this year and I didn't have time to sew or paint an advent, but I did see this one all over the Internet and it screamed simple.
I used a mini muffin tin and covered each hole with holiday themed paper. I put little magnets on the back of the paper and hung the advent with a ribbon.
A decided to be in charge of the advent this year and he planned it out beautifully. Each morning (behind coordinating number) he had a slip of paper for us to unfold. On each slip, he wrote out clues as to where E and I should find a family photo from the year. He also had clues to help us figure out which picture it was.
It was a lot of fun to do together and E liked recalling the events in each picture (birthdays, the beach, Utah, the bonfire). I don't know how long we'll use this advent or if we'll do pictures next year, but we could do other slips of paper with Christmas activities to do as a family (service, gingerbread house, make cookies, sing carols, decorate tree, set up nativity, read Christmas stories, watch Christmas movie, etc).
Thanks Daddy!

1 comment:

Gordon, Jamie, Evelyn, Claire and Bonnie said...

What a great idea! And it turned out so cute! I want one!