Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fall Festival

Another fun and successful church Fall Festival under my belt. I'm so glad a had some help this year.

For the Fall Festival, we were the Cinderella crew- Cinderella, Gus, Jaq, Prince Charming and the Fairy Godmother. Our budget was tight, time was short, and the stress was high, so I did the best I could with costumes. E was pleased as punch!

I bought the purple dress at Goodwill for $3. It was an XXL with a neckline that plunged halfway to my belly button. So...I took it apart and remade the dress to fit.  I made the cape for E a couple years ago and I recovered headbands from The Dollar Store. I made large 'shoes' for the boys out of khaki denim I had and their hats were made from old t-shirts.Daddy's cords and fringe were cheap and all the gold fabric was left over from last years' costumes. E's dress was the only one I spent a little bit of money on. She has a lot of layers made of both cloth and tulle. I wish I had a pattern to follow to make the creation a little less stressful, but that just wouldn't be my style.

The boys kept their hats on the entire afternoon. Yeah! And yes, I purposefully made O's t-shirt too short so his belly could hang out just like Gus. Unfortunately, O slimmed down in October. E loved her sparkly Cinderella shoes. As we were getting ready, she danced in them and then...DONG! Oh no! I have to go! As she began to run, she left a shoe behind for Daddy to pick up. But I don't even know your name! he yelled after her. Then the chase with lots of laughter.
Gus

Getting ready to play games at each trunk.

Jaq...all he wanted to do was eat the candy. And you know...my boys didn't even know what candy was until this event. To this day, they still ask for candy.


We were so happy to have Rapunzel (cousin L) finally join us for the festivities!

Cinderella bowling. D is quite impressed with her skills.

Fishing for candy!
Near the end of Trunk or Treat, I lost sight of O. We had 6 kids in our caravan, weaving in and out of other children doing games and I suddenly lost sight of O. Look left, look right. Call out his name. I then ask others around me as I move throughout cars. Soon I had a couple other moms looking for him. I wanted to flip out, but talked myself into remaining calm. Within 20 seconds (which felt like forever), another mom found him. He was screaming and crying as loud as he could, but no one heard him because he had his head stuck in the church door. His head was on the inside and his body on the outside. He was a mess- snotty, tear streaked and red faced. Poor thing. He was done with Trunk or Treating. He just wanted to hang out with Daddy, which really meant, I get to dig into candy while Daddy's busy. He was found stuffing his face with candy...dripping down the front and stuck to his cheeks. 





Everyone did such a great job on their trunk games. We had so much fun! It just gets better and better every year. We get more trunk games and several more people dress up, which always makes it more fun! After the Trunks, we then had soups and chili with lots of yummy bread. We had contests for the food and costumes. Our family won a prize for best themed costumes. I was, I mean, we were thrilled. ;)

No comments: