Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Getting Ready

The stockings were lovingly taped to the mantle before Santa filled them with treats and placed them at the foot of each bed. The boys didn't really get their stockings in their cribs though. Santa knew that wouldn't be a good idea. So he just put theirs on the floor beside the cribs. Santa knew E would make sure the boys got their stockings too.

E pointing to her stocking.

Daddy reading The Night Before Christmas.

Once the kids were in bed, we pulled out all the gifts to place them under the tree. This year I decided to "Go Green" and not use wrapping paper. I have always been the person saving boxes, bags and bows for the next year. I've never really loved the fact that you spend so much money and time on wrapping, just to rip it up and throw it away...and there's a lot to throw away. Don't get me wrong, I do like wrapping gifts...it's fun. I also like ripping into them. Regardless, this year I decided to sew fabric bags to wrap our gifts. It was super easy and my hubby, A, absolutely loved it. He didn't have to cut paper or use tape and everything was wrapped in record time. I think wrapping presents was one of the many highlights of Christmas this year.


On a side note, E loves the garbage truck. She knows when it's Tuesday and knows when he comes down our street. She'll run to the window so she can watch him dump our trash. They expect to see one another now and they exchange smiles and waves. He'll even honk his loud truck horn for her. So for Christmas she drew him a picture of his truck with very colorful trash all around. I wrote "Merry Christmas! From, Your Friend in the Window" but I'm bummed that I forgot to take a picture of it. E was afraid to actually go up to the truck, but she enthusiastically watched Daddy give the picture to her friend. He was very pleased with the drawing and gave her a tootsie roll.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweetheart! She obviously has your mom's large and loving heart.

Anonymous said...

Awww...man, that is so cool! I'm sure that made the garbage mans day, right there!

Kimberly said...

Oh, L, if I didn't know you personally and know how stinking cool and nice you are, I'd have to hate you for everything you do. New stockings? Handmade bags for presents? Planning all the ward parties? I'm trying to figure out how to get my toilets cleaned more regularly.........

Carolina Chocolate said...

Oh Kimberly, Kim, Kim, Kim...thanks, but there were a few long, stressful nights and I basically ignored my house for awhile. I try to ignore the kids, but that's not as successful. ;)

I contemplate the same thing in my brain...you know,I was thinking about something like this earlier. Maybe I'll post it on the blog.

Suzanne said...

We got a big kick out of E and her trash man friend. Andy enjoyed reading about that. He thought it was adorable.

Patrice said...

I love the garbage man story! It's my favorite. :D